There is a significant cost involved in feeding thousands of students each day; 100% of the food we provide is purchased, not donated. We must operate this way to ensure the nutritional requirements are met, as well as meeting the required volumes needed for specific food items, including fresh fruit and vegetables. The food cost for our program is over $500,000 annually.
There is no cost to any school nor is there a cost to the students involved in the programs. This is to avoid placing stigmas or expectations that a student must pay, sooner or later, for the food they are in need of.
Our funding model builds on the early days of our programs, involving a wide range of generous supporters:
- The largest portion of funding is received from the Ontario Ministry of Children, Community and Social Services Student Nutritional Program, as part of the South Eastern Ontario flow-through area.
- As a member of the United Way serving Kingston, Frontenac, Lennox & Addington, we receive annual financial assistance.
- Locally, various charitable organizations, community and church groups, service clubs, local businesses, corporations and individuals provide funds.
- Schools and student councils assist through their general fundraising activities.
- In 2020, we will hold our signature Silent Auction as part of the Chinese Canadian Association of Kingston & District’s Spring Banquet.
- All local school boards provide financial assistance, or in kind services.
The Food Sharing Project is a registered charitable organization. (Reg. # 118933522 RR0001)
Charitable Information is available through Canada Revenue Agency: www.cra-arc.gc.ca/charities
How Can You Support the Food Sharing Project?
- Use the secure Donation Button (or click here) to make an online gift.
- Send your cheque –written to The Food Sharing Project, to our office at 37 Rigney Street, Unit 4 Kingston, ON K7K 6Z3
- Call the office for further information 613-530-3514
- Charitable receipts will be issued for donations greater than $10.00
- Consider Leaving a Legacy Gift in your Will – For more info, click this link: Planned Giving for The Food Sharing Project
16th Annual Charity Breakfast raises $10,000 for The Food Sharing Project
The annual charity breakfast events at Chez Piggy & Pan Chancho took place Tuesday & Wednesday December 10th and 11th, 2019. Hundreds of people came out to enjoy breakfast like never before, and made their contributions to the Community Foundation’s Zal & Rose School Breakfast Fund. This year’s grant from the Community Foundation is $10,000!
Thanks to everyone involved, especially Zoe and all the staff who work tirelessly to make these both great days.