There is a significant cost involved in feeding thousands of children each day; 100% of the food we provide is purchased, not donated. We must operate this way to ensure the nutritional requirements are met, as well as meeting the required volumes needed for specific food items, including fresh fruit and vegetables. The food cost for our program is over $500,000 annually.
There is no cost to any school nor is there a cost to the children involved in the programs. This is to avoid placing stigmas or expectations that a child must pay, sooner or later, for the food they are in need of.
Our funding model builds on the early days of our programs, involving a wide range of generous supporters:
- The largest portion of funding is received from the Ministry of Child and Youth Services Student Nutritional Program, as part of the South Eastern Ontario flow-through area.
- As a member of the United Way, we receive annual financial assistance.
- Locally, various charitable organizations, community and church groups, service clubs, local businesses, corporations and individuals provide funds.
- Schools and student councils assist through their general fundraising activities or by holding cereal and juice drives.
- Every year we hold our signature Silent Auction, most recently as part of the Chinese Canadian Association of Kingston & District’s Spring Banquet.
- All local school boards provide financial assistance, or in kind services.
The Food Sharing Project is a registered charitable organization. (Reg. # 118933522 RR0001)
Charitable Information is available through Canada Revenue Agency: www.cra-arc.gc.ca/charities
How Can You Support the Food Sharing Project?
- Use the secure Donation Button. Major Credit Cards can be used.
- Send your cheque –written to the Food Sharing Project, to our office at 140 Hickson Avenue, Kingston, ON K7K 2N6
- Call the office for further information (613) 530-3514
- Charitable receipts will be issued for donations greater than $10.00
- Consider Leaving a Legacy Gift in your Will -For more info, click this link: Planned Giving for Food Sharing Project